one of the few things i remember from school is the question ‘why you do what you do’. thinking about that lately. dying to self to follow the Lord.. am i even capable of that? would i one day follow not my impulses and convictions but wait on the Lord, and see what He wants for me? would my obedience one day be greater than everything else i try to sacrifice in guilt
If you wonder if you are ready to take up your cross, consider these questions:
- Are you willing to follow Jesus if it means losing some of your closest friends?
- Are you willing to follow Jesus if it means alienation from your family?
- Are you willing to follow Jesus if it means the loss of your reputation?
- Are you willing to follow Jesus if it means losing your job?
- Are you willing to follow Jesus if it means losing your life?
In some places of the world, these consequences are reality. But notice the questions are phrased, “Are you willing?” Following Jesus doesn’t necessarily mean all these things will happen to you, but are you willing to take up your cross? If there comes a point in your life where you are faced with a choice—Jesus or the comforts of this life—which will you choose?
Commitment to Christ means taking up your cross daily, giving up your hopes, dreams, possessions, even your very life if need be for the cause of Christ.
it is easy to pretend that all is done in love..
but God knows i am ashamed to say that most of what i have been doing has been for me.
following the Lord isn’t easy.
i wish i was better